Allamakee County Community Foundation awards $110,000 to local nonprofits
From community wellness projects to outdoor recreation, rural communities and nonprofits will receive much needed support for community-enhancing projects thanks to the Allamakee County Community Foundation. The Community Foundation awarded $110,000 in grants to area nonprofits during an April celebration in Waterville.
“Thank you for being involved, and thank you for recommitting to better lives in our communities,” Betty Steege, Foundation coordinator, told leaders who attended the event. Steege reflected on the impact the Foundation is able to make for entire communities and individuals thanks to the support of local donors.
Grants were awarded to:
- Worldmaker International for Allamakee County THRIVE – $20,000
- Northeast Iowa Community College Foundation for Waukon Center summer camps – $3,000
- Allamakee Community School District for West Elementary playground – $20,000
- Allamakee New Beginnings, Inc. for a larger food delivery truck – $5,000
- City of Waukon – Wellness Center for city park shelter and restroom – $15,000
- Northeast Iowa Community Action Corporation for crisis assistance and extracurricular activity program – $8,000
- Veterans Memorial Hospital for Postville medical clinic – $20,000
- City of Lansing for pool guard house improvements – $5,000
- Helping Services for Youth & Families for youth mentoring program – $2,000
- Allamakee County Conservation Board for accessible kayak and fishing float improvements – $7,500
- Waterville Park & Rec for disc golf course – $4,500
The Foundation’s grants are made possible because of funds received each year from the State of Iowa County Endowment Program. Seventy-five percent of the money received is granted out, while 25% is maintained in a permanent endowment, with the income to be distributed in future years.
Donors who give to endowments may benefit from the Endow Iowa 25% State Tax Credit in addition to federal charitable income tax deductions. For more information about giving to support local needs, contact Steege at 563-586-2046 or email@example.com.
To learn more about how you can make an impact on your Allamakee County community, visit dbqfoundation.org/accf.