An initiative of the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque
The values we instill in young people last a lifetime. That’s what our group of youth grantmakers is about.
The YAPPERS are Dubuque high school students learning about the impact they can make through generosity and philanthropy. They engage in teambuilding and leadership activities, discuss local issues, plan events and service projects, and make funding decisions to support youth-serving organizations.
Stay up to date with the latest news and relevant information about this initiative.
Bringing Youth Together Through Philanthropy
YAPPERS share their experiences
Growing up and giving back
What is a YAPPER?
- A youth philanthropist working with the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque.
- A member of a highly motivated team dedicated to volunteerism, philanthropy and grantmaking.
- A positive youth role model developing leadership skills and improving the quality of life for youth in the Dubuque community.
- A freshman, sophomore, junior or senior from a Dubuque area high school.
There are no upcoming events at this time.
“Being involved with YAPPERS made me feel like I can actually do something to help my community. We’re learning how to care for something other than ourselves."
With funds they raise, the YAPPERS make grants to organizations serving youth.
Raised to date
Granted to nonprofits in 2022
Give Back to Support Local Youth
Whether you are a student looking to get involved, an organization seeking grants, or a community member looking to give, there are many opportunities to support the YAPPERS' work.
Become a YAPPER!
We are accepting YAPPERS applications! All high school freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors at any Dubuque public or private school may apply. Interviews will be held with interested applicants.
As a member, you will:
- Attend monthly meetings from September through May
- Learn about youth needs and assets in our community
- Make decisions about granting funds to youth projects
- Work with adults to show that youth are a community resource
- Participate in community service projects
- Be open to opportunities for personal growth (i.e. leadership skills)
- Make a difference in our community
Apply for YAPPERS Grants
The YAPPERS’ annual grants program helps Dubuque County youth-serving organizations strengthen and grow their programs. The application process opens in February of each year.
Make a Gift to the YAPPERS
The YAPPERS handle their own fundraising, including organizing an annual giving opportunity. Gifts through the website are accepted all year.
"Being a YAPPER is really eye-opening. Where we donate our money affects people, and it affects us personally when we learn about what they do.”
Youth Supporting Youth
The YAPPERS program is an opportunity for local teens to build the ethic of giving back to the community — and make a lasting difference in people's lives.