Jones County nonprofits awarded $74,000 in grants
The Jones County Community Foundation has announced $74,000 in grants to 21 local nonprofits working in the areas of economic well-being, quality of life, health, education, community improvement, tourism/recreation, history and conservation. Although unable to host their annual appreciation event, Community Foundation board members remain strongly committed to supporting the important work of Jones County nonprofit staff and volunteers.
The Foundation received more than $234,000 in requests for its 2021 grant cycle. The applicants awarded grants are:
- Anamosa Area Ambulance Service - Cot Loading System
- Animal Welfare Friends - Animal Welfare Friends Dog Park
- Arts Court Visual & Performance - Anamosa Welcome Mural
- Austin Strong Foundation - Interactive/Accessible Playground
- City of Martelle - Martelle Park Improvement Project
- Creative Adventure Lab - Creative Adventure Lab in Monticello
- Jones County Conservation Board - Fremont Mill Bridge Rehabilitation
- Jones County Economic Development - Wapsipinicon Trail Phase 2
- Monticello Heritage and Cultural Center - Climate Control
- Monticello Rotary Club - Rotary Music Park
- National Motorcycle Museum - Fire Exit Replacement
- Riverview Center - Jones County Sexual Assault/Abuse Survivor Crisis Intervention and Assistance Program
- Wapsie Park - Wapsie Park Public Shelter Replacement
- Wyoming Fair Association - Wyoming Fairgrounds Playground Fundraiser
Grants are supported by Iowa’s County Endowment Fund Program. This initiative, unique to Iowa, makes grants to create a strong community foundation infrastructure in 84 counties like Jones that do not hold state-issued gaming licenses. The Jones County Community Foundation grants out 75% of these funds and invests the remaining 25% in a permanent endowment that generates interest to be distributed in future years.
Gifts to endowment funds at the Community Foundation are eligible for the Endow Iowa 25% State Tax Credit. Community members can contribute to endowment funds established by nonprofits, which provide sustainable sources of income for these essential community service organizations.