Small-town Dreams Initiative
An innovative way to address unanticipated needs and enhance quality of life for future generations
More than 200,000 people call the seven-county Dubuque region home, and most of them live in communities of fewer than 2,000 residents. These small towns are key to creating a strong, interconnected region of high-performing, self-determined communities.
Through our Small-town Dreams Initiative, we pose a challenge: Participating towns can receive funds to start an endowment for the community by raising matching amounts locally. By the end of the campaign, communities will have built up an endowment that will grow in perpetuity and pay out annually for grantmaking.
The Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque has launched the Small-town Dreams Initiative in communities across its seven-county affiliate region. In partnership with an anonymous donor, the initiative has been structured to provide a cash match both for endowment-building and immediate local grantmaking.
The endowment challenge is completed in two phases, right-sized for your community.*
• Quiet two-to-one challenge to local leaders
• Example: Leaders raise $150,000 to match donor’s $75,000 gift
- Total at Phase I completion: $225,000
• Community challenged to match total raised in Phase I
• Example: Community raises an additional $225,000
- Total at end of three-year campaign: $450,000
• The community also is eligible for additional cash for grantmaking twice during the challenge
A community endowment will create unimaginable opportunities for small towns in the region and future generations who call this place home. We cannot pass up this opportunity to create a legacy!
*Amounts may differ depending on community size, while the structure of the process remains the same.
“This is a such a win for our community. We are addressing future challenges today. Small-town Dreams builds resilience for these rural places we love to call home.”